I have a soon to be 15 year old step daughter who I have raised since she was 2. She hits me, bites me, pulls my hair, scratches me, and calls me a bitch. She does this to her grandma also. She also tries it with her brother and has even drew her fist back at her dad. We sent her to Texas to spend the summer with her mom and she physically abused her mom within 2 weeks. She is bipolar but medicated.
I am to the point that I do not want her at my house due to the roller coaster of emotional and physical abuse. She is very good at getting out of trouble with her dad and nanny. I don't know what to do. I am trying to talk them into getting her in an in-house treatment or even a permanent group home.
What do you suggest???
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.