My husband really is, for most of the time, perfect. A wife couldn't ask for more! He is generally kind, thoughtful, attentive and affectionate.
Yet, when he gets upset or angry with me he is a different person. Then, he's a monster who rears its ugly head. He will go to extreme measures to hurt me even if I say something petty.
He doesn't have what I call, "healthy argument." Instead, he will react by throwing a hot drink over me or threatening to take away anything that makes me happy. He will never see his behavior as wrong and will never give in. He will refuse to make up sometimes for weeks.
These petty arguments will turn to extreme behavior. Some I won't mention because they are scary. These ups and downs have gone on for 7 years, every few months, maybe 6 months if I am lucky.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.