I'm 26 almost 27 years of age, a single mother of a 5 year old boy and I've been struggling through my life.
I was in an abusive relationship with a drug addict when I got pregnant and I left him and have been raising my son on my own with my parents help. The only problem is my parents are controlling of me and always have been. If I discipline my son they will make comments under their breath like, "God you're such a bitch" or get mad at me. Apparently I've even been referred to as Hitler but I'm trying to be more strict lately because my son had zero discipline in his life before and it's starting to really show.
There's no way a 5 year old should be demanding things of adults and throwing fits when he doesn't get his way. But when I do put him for a time out, someone will go to him and say "Come here buddy, talk to me" instead of letting him finish out the time out. What's worse is in my relationship, I found a really great guy who's been helping me become a better person all around. I love him with all my heart and now I'm afraid I'm going to lose him.
My parents have been badgering me about how late we hang out. He comes here always so that I'm not away from my son and I can still be mom. But my parents constantly over our shoulders, and finding faults with everything he does is starting to wear on him and he's at his limit with it now. I can see that I'm losing him, if I could move out I would in a heartbeat.
I'm finding myself resenting my family, I'm getting incredibly depressed to the point where I vomit because I'm so upset. I can't function and I'm trying to pull out every possible solution to keep my relationship going and improving my home life. I've failed at every relationship before this one because I gave up too easily, I found faults with the guys instead of looking at myself.
I'm afraid if I lose my boyfriend now that this is it for me. I'll not find this again and I will give up.
I just need some direction, I need some help.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.