I have been married for five years (I am 27 & my husband is 30). We have no children. Our marriage has never been good, as my husband is emotionally and verbally abusive and used to be physically abusive. He stopped the physical abuse (I don't really know why) about a year ago. I now want a divorce. I cannot see myself living my entire life having to walk on eggshells and constantly being berated. It was difficult to come to this realization because my father was also very emotionally abusive, and I guess it's just what I'm used to. My dilemma is this: We are both full-time college students (we started late) and have full-time jobs. We have very little, if any, money left after bills are paid. I cannot see a way, financially, for me to move out on my own, get an apartment, etc. My husband will not move. I have asked him to move out before, and he says he will not & for me to move. Do you have any suggestions? Am I just making excuses? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.