OK, I read the article and some of your comments. I am a single dad rasing three kids. I have been battling depression for years now. I lost my wife and most jobs. I actualy hit rock bottem. My kids were in state custody for 2 years. I have fought like hell to get to the point I am at today. It's taken me three years now. I Just can't seem to keep making myself go on. At 38 I feel as though I should be on the top of my game. I am not. I find myself yelling at the kids more and more and finding it harder and harder to go to work. (I love my job at least) but still, why is it so freaking hard to just be normal (If there is a definition for normal)? I have been through sevral clinics to get help. I am in a very tight situation. If I go get to much help I loose the kids. If I don't get some help I lose the kids and everything again. God Help me I am falling apart here. It seems I'm in a no-win situaion. What can I do?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.