Several months ago, my husband took a emotional breakdown. This happened just before Christmas time & during work. Since then, he's been in counseling with a registered psychotherapist. He was diagnosed with depression with anxiety disorders. He's been improving thanks to psychotherapy. I was told by a colleague of mine who is a former addiction counselor that normally a spouse would also be asked to join in therapy. I have not as of yet been asked. In light of this, what advice can you give me that will enable me to support my husband on his road to recovery? And to understand his depression and anxiety disorder? He has not disclosed a lot of details to me as to why this happened? Thank you for your time.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.